Thursday, March 25, 2010

Revelations while lying on the floor...

Source

At the end of every yoga class, we take a little rest. By this point, you're very sweaty, worn out, fully stretched out and ready for a little break. Usually I find myself hovering between consciousness and sleep, thinking about random things, even though I try desperately to "quiet my mind." My mind is not easily shut up.

Tonight however, my teacher began our relaxation with a little word about reaching deep within yourself, literally to your core, and allowing your figurative fingertips to graze over the eternal observer within each of us. It's not the mind that holds your fleeting thoughts and worries, it's something sits back and lets the transient details pass. Some people call it a soul or a spirit, but tonight I found myself imagining a deep well of childlike energy and enthusiasm deep at my core.

I remember what it was like to laugh and think of nothing else but that joyous laughing moment. The simplistic emotional state of being a kid. No worries, no stress. Lately these two things have made up a large percentage of my life. I kept having a memory of swinging in the sunshine as a little girl, letting my head drop back on the upswing and enjoying the free-fall on the way down.

It has been so long since I've just enjoyed the free-fall without the worry of what the bottom will feel like. I know that this is pretty normal. As life grows in complexity, thoughts become cluttered and life starts to feel heavy. But, occasionally you feel the lightness of life come over you as well. Tonight feeling the lightness of life, I cried in class. I did so quietly because I didn't really want anyone else to see, because I was a little embarrassed about becoming so emotional. But, I cried because if felt so good. I felt great to be light again and even though I'm being challenged personally and professionally right now, for that moment I felt the burden lift. It was a "satisfied sigh" sort of moment.

Anyway, sorry to get all deep on ya. But my wish is that everyone reading this might have their occasional revelation on their yoga mat, or whatever your outlet might be. I hope that in that moment you feel yourself lift and lighten, because you've given yourself what you need. And, I hope that you can take that lightness forward with you into your life and remember that ageless energy inside you that doesn't change; no matter how much your life does or how much adversity comes to you. You're still the kid on the swing, no matter how old you are.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written.

    I agree, crying feels so good sometimes. Cleanses the tear ducts, if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Cleanses the tear duct for sure!

    ReplyDelete